In Mt. Vernon Place, Baltimore, the Washington Monument holiday lighting has been a crowd-pleaser for 50 years now! It is full of live entertainment, music, food trucks, and beautiful scenery. The finale of this outdoor party is the lighting the of the monument with fireworks and holiday music. This Baltimore tradition started in 1972 when then-mayor Donald Schaeffer visited Indiana and saw their city was full of lights. He wanted the same thing with our Charm City, and so this tradition began.
History of the Monument
Baltimore’s Washington Monument was built in 1815, which is older than our nation’s capital’s monument. Normally there is a gallery in the bottom of the monument, and then you can climb the steps to take pictures at the top. Right now it is closed due to covid, but check here at a later time. When visiting, be sure to check out the nearby Walter’s Art Gallery, and the Peabody Library.
Engineers Club at the Garrett-Jacobs Mansion
I was so lucky to be invited to the Engineers Club Christmas party in Mt. Vernon Place, purposefully the same night as the Washington Monument holiday lighting. The Engineers Club is a business and social club for Baltimore professionals, with its clubhouse set in a beautiful building, the Garrett-Jacobs Mansion. The mansion is also used as a wedding venue.
History of the Engineers Club
The Great Baltimore Fire in 1904 started the Engineers Club the next year with needing an exchange of ideas to prevent more fires from expanding, while building back Baltimore. Now, it promotes a relaxing and social environment for Baltimore professionals, to allow for business interactions, and for entertaining family and friends. The Club has resided at the mansion since 1961.
History of the Garrett-Jacobs Mansion
The mansion was built in 1853. The President of the B&O Railroad during the Civil War, purchased the mansion for his son, Robert Garrett, as a wedding gift for his marriage with Mary Frick in 1872. Mary was a descendant of a Virginian governor. In 1896, Robert died, and then Mary married his physician, Dr. Barton Jacobs in 1902. Mary died in 1936, and many of the household artwork was donated to the Baltimore Museum of Art. Dr. Jacobs died in 1939. Mary was known for her entertaining in this massive, elaborate mansion, and for her philanthropy. She left much of her fortune to the medical care for children, as she herself did not have any children.